Friday, January 3, 2014

Infants and Toddler review

So as busy as we have been I have been dreading January.  Connor has a review coming up for Infants and Toddlers on the 14th.  He has been doing so great using two hands for lots of things.  Often I have to think about which hand he is using.  His thumb still gets stuck sometimes and how he holds his wrist often needs correcting with Kinesio tape.  I am actually more concerned lately about his walk.  His heal has not been hitting the floor most of the time now. And he has spent a lot more time with shoes off with the holidays and I know that has not helped at all.  On the 8th he will get an overnight orthotic to help stretch his heal cords.  I am hoping this helps with walking.  Today alone he tripped 4 times.

But my concern is that he has been hitting all his goals for I&T and they don't think they can justify seeing him as often as they do.  To be fair though the testing they do does not take into account quality of movement only if he is doing it. So he gets points for using a pincer even if he only does it with his left hand.  He get points for walking, jumping and running even though he does it atypically.  So we have been warned that PT may disappear and OT will get scaled back considerably.  It might disappear.

Our OT told us the only way she thinks she can stay on is because of the life skills section of the test. Connor is not dressing and undressing himself the way a two year old would.  He doesn't pull off socks and shoes and put arms in his shirts or pull them off the way a two year old should.  If this is what allows us to keep our OT then great but I think it is just a lack of opportunity that is the problem.  I usually put Connor's braces and shoes on in the morning and we keep them on till the evening.  They are double knotted. Not much opportunity to put on and take off socks and shoes.

Our therapy schedule has been so much a part of our lives I wonder what we will do with more time.  Also I am so scared that Connor will lose ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment