Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Orthotists- I Shake my fist at you!!

Wow it has been a while since I posted.  Time seems to move so fast. When last I wrote Connor was getting his second round of Botox.  Well that was a mixed bag.  I guess everything we do is either going to be reactive or proactive.  The Botox was definitely reactive.  It helped immediately stop Connor's foot from turning inward due to hits gastrocneumeus muscle getting to tight.

When we had it done we supposedly had a new foot AFO and night brace on the way.  It took Well into July to have that delivered.  Which pissed me off terribly.  Botox only lasts 3 mons and within those three. Onths is your opportunity to train and build muscles to prevent or minimize spasticity once the Botox wears off.  I thought I was getting a jump on things having Connor measured and fitted I. Late April for the braces and we would have them ready to go the second week of June right after the Botox injections.  What was I thinking!

I need to remember the following issues next time that seem to arise for many families looking for timely orthotics.
The doctor needs to send the clinical notes over before the orthotist will order anything even though they are more then happy to measure your kid and sit on those measurements for months before this happens.
The orthotist a office will never call you to tell you this is why there is a delay.
The orthotist a office will wait to do anything until they have insurance approval.
They will never suggest you pay out of pocketed wait for reimbursement. You need to suggest this as a possibility.
Despite waiting for months for insurance approval to actually even begin making the brace, The insurance may not even pay ( this was the case for Connors left orthotic since it was not considered custom, WHAT).
They also will suggest that paying out of pocket will take up to a year to be reimbursed.

So it is now October and in august I brought back Connors left orthotic it was creating sores for him and cost over $100 that the insurance would not pay despite all we went through and the orthotist waiting on approval, which I mistakenly thought was for both orthotics.  Had I known then what I know know I would have taken Connor to Shoe Train and just bought him his left orthotic for $38 and been able to leave the store with it. Now we are still getting bills for the the thing which I brought back to the orthotist on august 7th. They are saying it was custom and I am telling them it was within the manufacturers return period and it is not custom.  I wonder how long this will drag out.  They will win this in the short term though.  We have to periodically go to the orthotist to fix his ill designed overnight brace and before they see you the office makes you pay any outstanding bills.

Anyhow that is our orthotics saga.


No comments:

Post a Comment